And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them. And Moses rose up, and his minister Joshua: and Moses went up into the mount of God. And he said unto the elders, Tarry ye here for us, until we come again unto you: and, behold, Aaron and Hur are with you: if any man have any matters to do, let him come unto them. And Moses went up into the mount, and a cloud covered the mount. And the glory of the LORD abode upon mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days: and the seventh day he called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud. And the sight of the glory of the LORD was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel. And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and gat him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.
1. And God spoke all these words:
2. "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery".
3. "You shall have no other gods before me".
4. "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below".
7. "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name".
8. "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy".
12. "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you".
13. "You shall not murder".
14. "You shall not commit adultery".
15. "You shall not steal".
16. "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor".
17. "You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor".
God's purpose for giving us the Ten Commandments is that, if we obey them,we can live happier, more peaceful and fruitful lives. And, so that we can have the proper relationship with Him as well as with others. By these commandments we are able to determine right from wrong and to know that we have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. But, the good news is that Jesus came to forgive us of sin and restore us to fellowship with God.